Candle safety during the chilly months
Between 2009 to 2013, an estimated 9,300 house fires were started by candles. These fires caused $374 million in property damage and caused 86 deaths and 827 injuries. During the winter months, home fires due to candles peak. 11% of these home candle fires start because of decorations in December compared to 4% throughout the year. A few candle safety tips are as follows:
- If you are leaving a room or going to bed, blow out any lit candles.
- Keep candles a foot away from flammable objects.
- Keep candles on sturdy holders in uncluttered areas.
- Keep your hair and loose clothing away from open flames.
- Try not to let a candle burn all the way down to the bottom.
- If your candles are not full enough, use flashlights during a power outage instead.
Give us a call if you have a fire loss or even soot damage. We'll clean your home up and make it "Like it never even happened."